What is doctor shopping?

Expiry Date: 
Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 13:00

The term “Doctor Shopping” is used generically to identify a person(s) who uses fraud, deception or exclusion to get controlled drugs for illegitimate use. A patient who fails to tell their doctor they are receiving controlled medication from another provider falls into this group. “Doctor Shoppers” are often addicted to the drugs they are seeking. In some cases, the get controlled drugs for the specific purpose to profit from them or provide them to others who are also addicted. They also represent every aspect of our society, both culturally and financially. Only about 30% of drug diversion comes from doctor shopping. The other 70% are using more traditional methods, including stealing it out of their family's medicine cabinet.